Supporting researchers in their work to develop innovative approaches for the assessment of medical education.
Applying for the Stemmler Fund
Letter of Intent Instructions
The 2021 application cycle opens on May 17 with a submission deadline of July 19, 2021 by 11:59 p.m.
The Letter of Intent (LOI) Description Guide explains the requirements and format that should be followed for your LOI submission.
When you are ready to submit your LOI, please visit the Stemmler Fund Portal.
- Login or create an account on NBME’s Submittable page.
- Select the 2021-2022 Edward J. Stemmler, M.D. Medical Education Research Fund hyperlink or the “Submit” button.
- Read the Guidelines and complete the form.
- Follow the instructions for submitting and attaching your LOI documents.
- You may save your LOI submission at any time and return to complete it later by scrolling to the bottom of the submission form and selecting “Save Draft.”
- When you are ready to return to complete the form, log into your account, click on your name at the top right of the internet browser, select “My Submissions” and select the desired draft.
Instructions for preparing your proposal and accompanying budget are being revised and will be updated soon.
When your project is approved for funding, the Stemmler team will work with you to complete the contract between your organization and NBME. Funding is contingent upon completing the contract process and providing NBME with IRB documentation.
Once your project is funded and in progress, interim and final reports are required as part of your contractual agreement. Guidelines for report submission are provided below. For information specific to your obligations, please refer to your Stemmler Fund contract. You will receive reminders from the Stemmler team regarding due dates for your reports.
You are required to submit an interim report midway through the grant funding period. Release of the remainder of grant funds is contingent upon our receipt of your interim report.
You are required to submit a final report within 60 days of the completion of the project. A one-time extension may be granted, but you must submit a detailed request in writing.